Is it possible that this is really the world’s best banana bread? I think it is. You’ll just have to bake it to see for yourself. It is also beautiful and super easy to make. I’ve made it hundreds of times; during the holidays when I make several batches I don’t even have to use the recipe because it’s that easy. This recipe is vegan and oil free!
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar or raw sugar (I’ve used agave with a good result also)
- 3 extra ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 Tbsp plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl add 1 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup turbinado sugar. Mix with wooden spoon.
- Add the bananas, plant milk and vanilla then mix well.
- Add baking soda, salt, and flour. Mix again.
- Add optional nuts and/or chocolate chips.
- Pour into a sprayed pan, I use a bunt pan for best results.
- Cook for 40 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean. Using a loaf pan will require a longer baking time. When making muffins with this recipe they are usually done in 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan once cool.
Serve this to for a tasty dessert, snack, or even with a cup of coffee. If possible wait until the next day to slice this and it will taste like heaven! We have even taken this on a road trip for a sweet snack.