I don’t know about you but growing up Taco Salad was a deep-fried tortilla, grease ground beef, a little iceberg lettuce, and your typical tomatoes, cheese and sour cream. Bleck!
It is time to toss that artery-clogging “salad” out with a Plant-Based transformation!
This Taco Salad is healthy, plentiful in fiber, protein and phytochemicals and just plain delicious! It is also easily customizable to accommodate various allergies or taste preferences.
- Lettuce ( prefer a mix of greens and romaine)
- Cooked Beans (I use pinto, black beans or Taco Lentils)
- Cooked Grains (I use leftover rice, quinoa or Quinoa Tacos)
- Cooked Corn (I just buy organic frozen corn)
- Pico de Gallo or salsa
- Avocado, sliced
- Lime Juice
- Crispy Corn Tortillas* or Tortilla chips (Optional)
- Layer all ingredients into a large bowl (I use a serving bowl for me) except the tortillas/chips.
- Toss the salad so everything is well mixed and add a few chips for crunch.
*To make Crispy Corn Tortillas use soft corn tortillas, sprinkle with life and seasonings of your choice. Cut tortillas into thin strips and bake for about 10 minutes at 350° or until crisp.
This is an easy “buffet night” dish. It can be made quickly with leftovers or canned/packaged ingredients. If you are traveling with this for a potluck add the salsa, avocado and lime juice just before serving.
Do I even need to say that this is gluten-free and something my son can actually eat!
What is your favorite way to eat Taco Salad?