Is it autumn in your town?
If so you may be dreaming of creamy soups and hot apple crisp. It’s not quite fall yet but it is below 100° for a few days and it’s rainy so I’m pretending. Yesterday I made soup and cookies.
So the beginning of the week I’ll keep living in denial of autumn bliss but by the end of the week I’ll be back to reality.
Weather is actually the biggest factor in my meal plans. When it is hot we eat more salads and cook on the stove or grill and when it’s cool I use the oven more.
Breakfast is usually quick and easy, as the weather cool down warm oatmeal and breakfast rice will take center stage. Fruit is usually added to every breakfast, or at least a mid morning snack.
- Blueberry Oatmeal using the last of this summers blueberries (don’t worry I keep them in the freezer too)
- Breakfast Rice I’ll post this recipe eventually, it’s a long time family favorite
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Gluten-Free Apple Muffins or Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins
I’ve been enjoying baked potatoes a lot lately. They are so easy that I’ll add them to most lunch options. I like to add a side salad or raw veggies to lunch also.
- Leftover Broccoli & Potato Soup
- Taco Potatoes
- Bean & Grain Bowl with diced baked potatoes added
- Unfried Bean and Potato Burrito with lots of fresh salsa
- Green Chili, Cilantro and Lime Soup
Usually fruit and veggies make up our daily snacks but if I get a chance to bake we may have muffins also.
- Apples with sunbutter
- Baby Oranges, a.k.a. Cuties
- Carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers and hummus
- Veggie Wraps (because sometimes I need MORE)
- Cookies, yes I made sunbutter cookies.
While dinner is usually the most “complicated” meal of the day at our house it’s usually pretty easy. I like to make extra for lunches. If I’m cooking one thing on the stove I might as well cook something else next to it to save time later.
- Lasagna (Gluten-Free for us) with a side salad and Sweet & Tangy Oil Free salad dressing
- Broccoli and Brown Rice Casserole (a request from my hubby)
- Taco Soup
- Fiesta Mac and Faux Cheese
- Mexican Rice and Bean Casserole (I’m actually making this for a food demo on Thursday morning)
- Healthy Cravings on Thursday Night Building a Better Sandwich (plus wraps and maybe quesadillas)
I’ll save time by cooking a lot of potatoes today to use throughout the week. The same thing goes for anything with beans and some of the dishes with grains. I washed and sliced veggies yesterday for grab and go snacks. I may even make a few dishes today since I’m in a cooking mood.
Is it autumn yet in your area? Are you ready for pumpkin recipes?