Do you need a cheap and easy breakfast idea? If you have an intolerance to oats or can’t handle the sticker shock of quinoa this may be the perfect whole grain breakfast for you.
This has been a family favorite for weekend breakfasts for about a decade. But if your family is used to Fruit Loops they may need a little more sweetener than this recipe includes. I love that I can make this with pantry staples.
I say this was a weekend breakfast because it takes about 45 minutes to cook brown rice. Now we will make a large pot and reheat leftovers quickly. Even my 4 year old who has been very picky lately LOVES this.
Cinnamon Apple Raisin Breakfast Rice
- 2 cups brown rice (I prefer short grain)
- 4 c water
- 1-2 cups plant milk
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 diced apple
- 1/4 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- Pour rice, water and cinnamon into large sauce pan and cook over medium heat set timer for 45 minutes.
- When there is 15 to 20 minutes left add 1 cup plant milk, diced apples and raisins then give it a good stir.
- When the timer goes off the rice should be soft, most or all of the liquid will be absorbed and the apples will be soft.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving, stir in extra plant milk if needed.
This is a perfect fall breakfast and will keep you fueled for hours. Add a little liquid when reheating leftovers. This would pair perfectly with hot cider or Sarah’s Pumpkin Spice Latte. My daughter always liked this with a lot of extra liquid (soupy) but most of us prefer it without it.
For more breakfast ideas check out my Recipe Page!