When we learned that half of our household had a sensitivity to oats our oatmeal consumption went way down. For a while we replaced that with toast and cereal but both were much more expensive that oats, especially since we had to buy gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free versions. That is when we embraced Overnight Chia Porridge.
I’m no stranger to chia seeds and I’m not talking about chia pets. We’ve been eating chia seeds regularly since the beginning of our plant-based journey. In fact, in our house we call them “sprinkles” and I keep them in a little shaker bottle. My boys get sprinkles on almost everything they eat. When they hear other kids talking about sprinkles they will chime in because they eat sprinkles too. (yes, I have lots of evil tricks like this)
Overnight Chia Porridge
- 3 Tbsp Organic Raw Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Hemp Seeds (optional)
- 8 oz Rice Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Optional add ins like maple syrup, fresh fruit, dried fruit, etc.
- Pour seeds into a jar with a leak-proof lid.
- Pour milk over seeds, tighten lid and give it a good shake.
- Wait about 15-20 minutes then give jar another good shake.
- Store overnight in the refrigerator.
The chia (and hemp seeds) will absorb the milk and you’ll be left with a full jar of firm porridge. I typically use a few tablespoons of porridge and mix it with grains and fruit.This post contains affiliate links.