Summers coming… for those of us in Phoenix it is right on our door step. In addition to the heat, summer brings on cookout season. If this is your first summer living a plant-based lifestyle you may be a little intimidated by all of the upcoming barbecue invitations. Don’t be, I’ve got you covered.
Today I’m going to share one of my secrets. Homemade BBQ Sauce. I’ll share tips another day.
This Homemade BBQ Sauce is sweet and tangy. My husband said it tasted like candy but his palete is really sensitive to sweetness. Actually, at first you taste the sweet then the tangy hits.
You can use this sauce on anything! Baked Potatoes, Lentil BBQ or my Spaghetti Squash BBQ Sandwich, BBQ Chickpeas, BBQ tofu and more. The sauce is really versatile and you can change it up by using less sugar or more vinegar. You can also add Siracha for a little more kick.
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup (more or less) of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water (add it a little at a time to obtain the right consistency)
- Add all ingredients except water in a small sauce pan place on low heat.
- Stir often as you add each ingredient.
- Once everything except water is added taste and make any changes.
- Add water a little at a time while stirring until you reach the right consistency. You’ll probably need between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup.
Use this BBQ Sauce as you would a bottled sauce. If you have leftovers store in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
Next I’ll share my Cauliflower BBQ Bites recipe!
Make sure you read the labels on all of your ingredients. Some versions may not be vegan or may contain gluten. I always check ingredients to make sure it is safe for my family but your family may have other needs.
This page contains affiliate links.