My love affair with my Instant Pot isn’t confined to dinner. No, my morning rendezvous with my Instant Pot are a common occurrence.
I got the idea from Jill Nussinow on her blog The Veggie Queen. I tell people, she isn’t only the Veggie Queen she is queen of pressure cooking. Her blog mentions the instructions for using a regular pressure cooker but it’s easily adapted for Instant Pot Cooking. By the way, her newest book Vegan Under Pressure was just released. I don’t have it yet but I’m sure it is going to be great!
Instant Pot Oatmeal
If this is your first time cooking with the Instant Pot it is important to note that it takes a while for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure. That means once you start it, it may take 15 minutes for more before it starts cooking. This is normal. After it’s done cooking, it takes time for the pressure to drop.
It’s still easier than cooking it on the stove because you have to watch your pot and stir regularly. With the Instant Pot, you can walk away and come back to perfect oatmeal. You may want to start it when you wake up, then come back to it after you’ve gotten ready.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- optional spices (cinnamon shown)
- toppings of your choice (apples shown)
- Dump oats into the Instant Pot followed by the water.
- Close the lid and close the vent.
- Press manual and use the arrow buttons to go down to 3 minutes.
- After the oats finish cooing, press the off button or unplug the Instant Pot so the pressure will release naturally.
- After the pressure releases, open the lid and give the oatmeal a good stir. It will probably have extra liquid, this will absorb as it cools.
- Add cinnamon or other additions and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Top oatmeal with fresh fruit of your choice, apples are shown.
This recipe makes about 2-3 servings depending on how hungry you are and how much fruit you add for the toppings.
You can easily double this recipe (no need to change the cooking time) and store it for easy breakfasts all week.
This page contains affiliate links.