Soup has a way of making you feel better. It doesn’t matter what kind of soup it is, but homemade is the best.
I never loved soup until we transitioned to a plant-based diet. After that, I couldn’t get enough soup. Broccoli Potato Soup is just one of my favorites.
I think one of the reasons was that although tasty, a lot of soups contained meat and dairy and were not refreshing. They were greasy, heavy or gave me a stomach ache. This never happens with plant-based soups.
Broccoli Potato Soup
- 1½ to 2 pounds potatoes
- ½ a onion, diced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 crown of broccoli, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup plant milk
- Scrub and chop potatoes. Place them in a pan of water and bring to a boil. You can also use vegetable broth for a heartier flavor.
- Add diced onion, carrot and the bay leaf (you will remove the bay leaf before serving).
- Once carrots and potatoes are almost tender add broccoli and spices.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- The soup is ready to eat as is. For a more savory soup add ¼ cup of plant milk and 1 Tbsp of nutritional yeast.
Another great thing about this soup is that it is very inexpensive to make. We almost always have the ingredients on hand so it’s a no brainer.
If you like this, check out my Crock Pot Potato Soup too!