If you’ve been here for a while you know I’m all about easy recipes. I think this Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice recipe is my new favorite. Why? Because you use a few ingredients and cook them all together and it turns out great, like magic.
I’ve always been a fan of quick and easy meals. Years ago, when I was a stay at home mom I would still stick to simple meals. I had my hands full with kids, the house, and everything that comes with that role. Now I work full time, still have to handle all the “mom stuff” and cooking can easily take a back seat to getting a little down time.
That is one of the main reasons I love my Instant Pot. It makes life easier for me. You may love your slow cooker, I used to use mine a lot more. Which ever you choose, having tools that make life more efficient and that set you up to be successful in your goals is a good investment.
Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice
This recipe is pretty simple. I wanted it to be a blank canvas so I could add difference spices and flavors. Before you skip over this no-fuss meal give it a try.
It took a few tries to get the beans and rice ready at the same time but this totally worked for us. If you want something with a slightly more complex flavor try my Instant Pot Mexican Casserole.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 9 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 limes (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
- Dump diced onion and garlic into the Instant Pot liner.
- Add the brown rice and black beans.
- Pour the water into the pot liner and add the salt.
- Secure the lid with the vent sealed.
- Select Manual, using the arrows decrease time to 28 minutes.
- Once the time is up you can press cancel or unplug the Instant Pot. Allow the pressure to naturally release. (I let it set for 20 minutes before opening the lid.)
- Scoop into bowls and squeeze a lime wedge over bowl and stir. Then add a few slices of avocado for garnish.