Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

If you’ve been here for a while you know I’m all about easy recipes. I think this Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice recipe is my new favorite. Why? Because you use a few ingredients and cook them all together and it turns out great, like magic. Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

I’ve always been a fan of quick and easy meals. Years ago, when I was a stay at home mom I would still stick to simple meals. I had my hands full with kids, the house, and everything that comes with that role. Now I work full time, still have to handle all the “mom stuff” and cooking can easily take a back seat to getting a little down time.

That is one of the main reasons I love my Instant Pot. It makes life easier for me. You may love your slow cooker, I used to use mine a lot more. Which ever you choose, having tools that make life more efficient and that set you up to be successful in your goals is a good investment.

Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

This recipe is pretty simple. I wanted it to be a blank canvas so I could add difference spices and flavors. Before you skip over this no-fuss meal give it a try.

It took a few tries to get the beans and rice ready at the same time but this totally worked for us. If you want something with a slightly more complex flavor try my Instant Pot Mexican Casserole.

Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

Author:
Recipe type: Main Dish
Ingredients
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
  • 2 cups brown rice
  • 2 cups dry black beans
  • 9 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2 limes (optional)
  • Avocado (optional)
Instructions
  1. Dump diced onion and garlic into the Instant Pot liner.
  2. Add the brown rice and black beans.
  3. Pour the water into the pot liner and add the salt.
  4. Secure the lid with the vent sealed.
  5. Select Manual, using the arrows decrease time to 28 minutes.
  6. Once the time is up you can press cancel or unplug the Instant Pot. Allow the pressure to naturally release. (I let it set for 20 minutes before opening the lid.)
  7. Scoop into bowls and squeeze a lime wedge over bowl and stir. Then add a few slices of avocado for garnish.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. bravo for coming up with a way to get the beans and rice to come out together! I’m an IP fan, but have always put the rice into a rice cooker. Quick question – do you pre-soak the black beans?

2. Hi Holly: Thank you for your wonderful recipes. I fixed this in my crockpot, because I don’t have an instapot. I cooked it for 10 hours on low, and used long grain rice. It turned out fine. I did not soak anything ahead of time. We put salsa and fresh tomatoes on top. Yummy.

3. What other spices do I add??
    Not tasty enough for my husband

• Did you use fresh lime and salt?
      If you still need more flavor you can add 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp chili powder.
      That should give it some more umph.
      You can also top it with Salsa!

4. Casey Burnett says:

Thank you I’ve been looking for a base recipe to experiment off of with my instant pot. The rice I use which was pink Madagascar came out very mushy 28 minutes manual 15 minutes slow release. any thoughts on how to improve? is it the rice or is that the time?

• Hi Casey,
      I’ve never tried pink Madagascar rice but I’m intrigued. I looked it up and it appears to be a quick cooking rice. I’m not sure if this type of rice will work because I think it would cook much quicker than the beans. With this recipe, the key is to have rice and beans that use the same amount of cooking time.
      I found a recipe that uses your rice and cooks it on high for 3 minutes than lets it natural pressure release for 7. You can find it here http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/quick-coconut-rice/
      Hopefully you can adapt it to suit your needs. If you can get the rice right you can always add canned beans later.
      Good Luck!

• Casey Burnett says:

thanks. I’ll try another rice and try to remember to post here my results.

• Casey Burnett says:

I used a heartier rice today and had much better results.

0.5 cup black beans [dry] // washed
          0.5 cup black rice // washed
          2 cups water
          1/8 onion sliced
          1tsp. evo
          1tsp salt

25 min in IP, manual high pressure.
          Natural release 10 minutes.

FYI: I live at 5600′.

5. chris.pietig@gmail.com says:

I have had my black beans for a while, we grew them but didn’t know what to do with them. Will they need a longer cook time?

6. Stephen Horras says:

If I’m using half the amount of ingredients how should I change the pressure cooker time? Thanks

• Hi Stephen,
      The time will stay the same. It’s based on how long it takes the ingredients to cook, not the quantity of the ingredients.
      Enjoy!

7. When you say “cup”, do you mean a traditional cup, or the Instant Pot cup? Thanks!

8. Very tasty! Consistency is perfect, however I had to drain a bunch of liquid at the end, so maybe 9 cups of water was a bit too much. I recommend adding more salt as well, but otherwise, I’m very happy with it. Thanks!

• Hi Fran,
      The liquid will absorb if you leave it. You can cut it back but I would rather have too much instead of no enough. Those beans and rice do a lot of expanding. 🙂
      I always add more salt too but some of my readers avoid extra salt. I actually put more salt into almost all my recipes but I like things salty. 🙂

9. Robin Comforto says:

I did a half recipe today. The water amount is way too high. I would try it next time with maybe half the water.

10. It’s great! Every time 🙂

11. Jennifer Ferrara says:

what if i wanted to make it with white rice? what would the time be then?

• White rice won’t work. It only takes 8 minutes

• The beans and rice couldn’t be cooked together. You could cook the rice then add cooked or canned beans to it.
      I’ve never made white rice in the Instant Pot but I’ve read it takes 3-8 minutes, another commenter said 8 minutes.

12. Any suggestions on how to adjust this recipe if I soak the beans first?

• You can’t adjust it too much because the brown rice requires at least 22 minutes to cook all the way. If you cook it less than 22 minutes it won’t work.
      Also, you’ll need less water, I’d try 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of brown rice. If the beans are cooked you could probably get by with 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water for every 1 cup of black beans.
      I hope that isn’t too confusing!

13. This recipe was magic! It cooked perfectly the first time. A perfect base to dress up with a few spices. Thank you!

14. carabells says:

Loved it! Looked for beans & rice recipe when we first got our pot earlier this year, and I’m glad we looked again – this was perfect!

15. Laura Anderson says:

This looks awesome! Have you ever made this and then reheated another day? I’m making a taco bar for the teachers at my son’s school and need to make everything the night before, and then drop off in the morning before I go to work. The front-office ladies are going to take care of setting everything out for me, so I’m just trying to think of the best way to make this ahead and then have them reheat?? Either in the microwave or maybe just the warm function of the IP?! Would love to know if the texture is ok after reheating?!

• Yes I have! I’ve reheated in the microwave. I haven’t tried it in the IP.
      This recipe doesn’t have much spice but makes a great base. You’ll definitely want to have salt, salsa, etc. to add a little more flavor.

16. I “tweaked” the recipe just a bit. I used 4 cups of veg stock, 5 cups of water and 2 tsp of chipotle chili. I also stirred in 1/4c chopped cilantro in with the lime at the end and it was beyond delicious!! This is the perfect base beans and rice recipe, So glad I stumbled upon it!

17. Thank you for this recipe. I added some tomato paste and cumin (as well as everything else) and added cilantro at the end. It is fabulous. I used a mixture of brown, red and wild rice. Seriously good.

What do YOU think?