I’ve seen the cauliflower buffalo wings on a dozen blogs. I love the idea but the problem is I HATE buffalo sauce.
In college I worked in a sports grill and I couldn’t even stand to carry the buffalo wings to my customers. The smell. Gag.
I have always loved BBQ though. Years ago friends and I would share boneless BBQ wings in our late night chats.
Just because I avoid chicken doesn’t mean I have to avoid barbecue sauce. Especially this Homemade BBQ Sauce.
Quick Note: You can make these with or without the breading. I’m sharing a gluten-free breading for the cauliflower but you can make it with wheat flour or skip the breading all together.
BBQ Cauliflower Bites
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup Gluten-Free flour blend
- 1 cup unsweetened and unflavored plant milk (I use rice milk)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 recipe Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Rinse cauliflower and cut into two-bite-sized pieces (about 2 inches or so).
- In a medium bowl mix the rest of the ingredients (except BBQ Sauce) together. I recommend adding the milk a little at a time because you may not need the whole cup. Stir with a whisk until the batter is the consistency of pancake batter.
- Put a handful of the cauliflower pieces into the batter then remove with a fork and place it on the cookie sheet.
- Once all of the cauliflower pieces have been dipped in batter and arranged on the cookie sheet bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes carefully remove the hot cauliflower and dip them into the BBQ Sauce. Put them back on the cookie sheet and bake for 5 more minutes.
These BBQ Cauliflower Bites are best served right out of the oven.
Need more barbecue ideas? Try these delicious recipes!