One year ago if someone would have mentioned whole wheat muffins I would have thought of dry, unappetizing bricks. I couldn’t be more wrong. These plant-based are delicious.
Now that I’ve been enlightened I think of delicious treats, add in a little fruit and I think of tiny bites of heaven. I love a good whole wheat product.
Before we transitioned to a plant-based diet, my idea of muffins were closer to cupcakes. Super sweet and full of oil.
These muffins have no added fat or dairy making them a healthy choice.
Whole Wheat Cherry Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 cup diced cherries (I use frozen cherries that I buy from Costco)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a big bowl mix all dry ingredients.
- Add applesauce and milk and mix.
- Add cherries and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into paper muffins lines until ⅔ full.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick then let cool.
These are a nice dessert, snack or as an addition to bunch. You can substitute blueberries for the cherries for variety. These are not super sweet which I know a lot of you appreciate.
Follow me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!