Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan and Thanksgiving Dinner Worthy
I’ve made Mashed Potatoes for years but for some reason with Thanksgiving on the horizon I started to wonder if we would be able to enjoy a “traditional” mashed potatoes sans butter and milk. I’ve made a Dirty Mashed Potatoes that were delicious but that isn’t the same as Thanksgiving’s creamy version that I was longing for.
Fear Not! I got this!
Thanksgiving Worthy Mashed Potatoes
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or rice milk)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- Scrub, peel, and cut potatoes into large chunks.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until potatoes very are soft.
- Drain potatoes and mash with a potato masher.
- Add salt and pepper, nutritional yeast and about half of the milk.
- Continue to mash or (whip) until everything is mixed, add more plant milk as needed.
- Taste and add more salt or nutritional yeast as necessary to get the flavor just right. (Depending on the size of your potatoes this might not be enough seasoning)
These potatoes are amazing. I took them to a potluck, eaten them alone and they are soon to be put to good use on a Vegan Shepherd’s Pie. They are perfect for Thanksgiving, I can hardly wait to top them with Happy Herbivore’s Thanksgiving gravy. Add a bit of rice milk when re-heating these. You will probably want to hide them as well, I chose the veggie drawer, no one suspected a thing. 🙂