I admit it, I like to eat pastries for breakfast; but it’s gonna take more than a donut to fuel this chic. Try these oil-free Blueberry Muffins to fuel your day.
This recipe is similar to The World’s Best Banana Bread. It travels well, isn’t too sweet, and is oil free.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar or raw sugar (I’ve used agave with a good result also)
- 2 extra ripe bananas, mashed (if your bananas are not very ripe, you may need more sugar and liquid)
- 1 Tbsp plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (regular flour or whole wheat flour with a little more liquid can be used also)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or other nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl add 1 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup turbinado sugar. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the bananas, plant milk and vanilla then mix well.
- Add baking soda, salt, and flour. Mix again.
- Add optional nuts and gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour into a sprayed pan muffin pan.
- Cook for 25 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan once cool.
These are great with a cup of coffee or even smoothie. I like to make them for brunch or potlucks. The hold up well in a lunch box and don’t need to be refrigerated.
This recipe can also be made in a loaf pan and baked for 40 minutes or in a jumbo muffin pan and baked for 35 minutes.
What are your favorite kind of muffins? Blueberry will always be my favorite but I love almost every kind of muffins! Have you tried my Strawberry Banana Muffin recipe yet? It’s just as good!