Do you regularly try new things? I have been lately although not necessarily relating to food.
Last Thursday I spoke to a group of 30 or so about our journey as a plant-based family and demonstrated making one of the most popular recipes on this site, Easy Mexican Rice and Bean Casserole.
Later that evening we hosted the first Healthy Cravings group of the semester at our home. We had a great turn out with 14 people (which is pretty much the limit on my dining room).
Remember that recipe contest I was involved in about a month ago (where I shamelessly begged for your votes). Well the top 2 people won a trip and I’ll be heading to Miami in less than two weeks to compete in a cookoff at Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa! Woot Woot!
So life is good; although I did reach for some almond milk ice cream earlier in a weak moment but put it away and had carrots and hummus instead.
I often cook breakfast’s late morning or in the evening for a quick reheat the next day.
- Cinnamon Apple Raisin Breakfast Rice
- Savory Breakfast Muffins
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Fruit & Sunbutter Wraps (on GF tortillas)
- Gluten-Free pancakes with fruit (If you have a favorite GF and nut free pancake recipe please share in the comments!)
I like a lunch that is quick or at least a quick prep time. I’ll often throw leftover veggies together for a soup or boil some noodles for my kids.
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Baked Potatoes with Steamed Broccoli
- Veggie (& hummus) Sandwiches or Sunbutter and fruit sandwiches (GF bread)
- Lentil Quinoa Veggie Salad (guest posted at Simplicity Fitness)
- SW Barbecue Lentil Wrap (New Recipe Coming Soon)
We usually have raw fruit or veggies for snack and something to dip them in. Even when your tempted to reach for the non-dairy ice cream you’ll be happy you opted for the apple.
- Cucumber, carrot sticks and bell peppers with roasted red pepper hummus
- fruit (apples, bananas, peaches, pears, grapes, and plums)
- I have a new snack bar recipe debuting soon!
Last week I adapted a family favorite to a crock pot version I hope to do the same this week as well as experiment with a few new recipes.
- Broccoli and Mushroom Stir Fry
- Lentil and Potato Burritos
- SW Barbecue Lentil Salad (New Recipe Coming Soon)
- Broccoli and Brown Rice Casserole (I’ll be adapting this to a low sodium recipe)
- Pinto Beans and Gluten-Free Corn Bread
Have you tried anything new lately? Was it a good or a bad experience?