Last week I shared our recipe for Overnight Chia Porridge and the fact that most of our household has a sensitivity to oats. You know I love oats. If you’ve followed my Free Meal Plans for a while you also know I ate oatmeal almost every morning for months at a time.
I had to say goodbye to oatmeal, at least for now, but I really needed a whole grain replacement. If I don’t have a hearty breakfast I’m more likely to skip it all together then make poor choices later in the day.
Every time I make this Breakfast Bowl it tastes different. Sometimes I use brown rice, sometimes quinoa or other grains. Often I’ll mix up several different leftovers. My kids like to eat this cold but I prefer to heat it up before adding the fruit. It’s easy enough that everyone can have it their own way. I guess I should have named it Multi-Grain Breakfast Buffet Bowl.
Multi-Grain Breakfast Bowl
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked grains (brown rice, quinoa, millet, amaranth, etc.)
- 1/2 cup of fruit (blueberries, diced apples, bananas, raisins, etc.)
- a little sweetener (I like maple syrup)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- OPTIONAL 1/4 cup Overnight Chia Porridge
- OPTIONAL nuts or seeds
- Heat grains if you want a hot cereal.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and stir well.
This can be made ahead of time and stored in individual portions for quick breakfasts.
I love how easy it is to make using leftover grains.