I’ve got the answer to your pizza craving right here! You’ve heard of stuffed mushrooms but Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms are a whole new level of awesomeness!
If you like mushrooms you will love these. I recently posted a video on Instagram of my 4 year old enjoying these. If you don’t like mushrooms stay tuned and I’ll share my pizza hack with you!
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- 2 8 oz packages of whole mushrooms (button or cremini)
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, I used half red and half green
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup marinara
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash mushrooms gently and remove stems. Dice the stems and set aside a 1/2 cup for the mix.
- Remove the gills. This step is optional but it will allow more “stuffing” in the mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms in a muffin pan, I used a mini muffin pan. If you don’t have a muffin pan use a pan with sides.
- In a separate bowl, mix together a 1/2 cup of the diced mushroom stems, bell peppers, tomato and onion. Next pour in the marinara sauce and mix it all together.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the veggie marinara filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven, there will be liquid in the pan. Allow to cool slightly before eating.
You can add other ingredients like artichoke hearts, olives, faux sausage/pepperoni or cheese if you are in to that sort of thing. I wanted a basic veggie pizza flavor. This is completely guilt free as written so go for it!
This recipe made about 20 stuffed Mushrooms. You can also make it with portobellos but expect to cook it a little longer. The portobellos at our store looked pretty beat up so I skipped them this time.
You will probably have extra filling that is great on pasta, potatoes or my Pizza Hack!
I’ve been trying out some new gluten-free, vegan, Sprouted for Life bread. Like many healthier breads, it is pretty sturdy. I used it for my pizza crust and OH MY GOODNESS it was so good! I’m still trying the bread out and haven’t used it with a sandwich yet but it tastes amazing with this! Just spoon some of the veggie marinara filling over the toast and bake for 10 minutes.
For more great recipes visit my Recipe Page!