Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

If you’ve been here for a while you know I’m all about easy recipes. I think this Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice recipe is my new favorite. Why? Because you use a few ingredients and cook them all together and it turns out great, like magic.ย Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

I’ve always been a fan of quick and easy meals. Years ago, when I was a stay at home mom I would still stick to simple meals. I had my hands full with kids, the house, and everything that comes with that role. Now I work full time, still have to handle all the “mom stuff” and cooking can easily take a back seat to getting a little down time.

That is one of the main reasons I love my Instant Pot. It makes life easier for me. You may love your slow cooker, I used to use mine a lot more. Which ever you choose, having tools that make life more efficient and that set you up to be successful in your goals is a good investment.

Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

This recipe is pretty simple. I wanted it to be a blank canvas so I could add difference spices and flavors. Before you skip over this no-fuss meal give it a try.

It took a few tries to get the beans and rice ready at the same time but this totally worked for us. If you want something with a slightly more complex flavor try my Instant Pot Mexican Casserole.

Instant Pot Black Beans and Rice

Author:
Recipe type: Main Dish
Ingredients
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
  • 2 cups brown rice
  • 2 cups dry black beans
  • 9 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2 limes (optional)
  • Avocado (optional)
Instructions
  1. Dump diced onion and garlic into the Instant Pot liner.
  2. Add the brown rice and black beans.
  3. Pour the water into the pot liner and add the salt.
  4. Secure the lid with the vent sealed.
  5. Select Manual, using the arrows decrease time to 28 minutes.
  6. Once the time is up you can press cancel or unplug the Instant Pot. Allow the pressure to naturally release. (I let it set for 20 minutes before opening the lid.)
  7. Scoop into bowls and squeeze a lime wedge over bowl and stir. Then add a few slices of avocado for garnish.

ย

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. bravo for coming up with a way to get the beans and rice to come out together! I’m an IP fan, but have always put the rice into a rice cooker. Quick question – do you pre-soak the black beans?

2. Hi Holly: Thank you for your wonderful recipes. I fixed this in my crockpot, because I don’t have an instapot. I cooked it for 10 hours on low, and used long grain rice. It turned out fine. I did not soak anything ahead of time. We put salsa and fresh tomatoes on top. Yummy.

3. What other spices do I add??
    Not tasty enough for my husband

• Did you use fresh lime and salt?
      If you still need more flavor you can add 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp chili powder.
      That should give it some more umph.
      You can also top it with Salsa!

4. Casey Burnett says:

Thank you I’ve been looking for a base recipe to experiment off of with my instant pot. The rice I use which was pink Madagascar came out very mushy 28 minutes manual 15 minutes slow release. any thoughts on how to improve? is it the rice or is that the time?

• Hi Casey,
      I’ve never tried pink Madagascar rice but I’m intrigued. I looked it up and it appears to be a quick cooking rice. I’m not sure if this type of rice will work because I think it would cook much quicker than the beans. With this recipe, the key is to have rice and beans that use the same amount of cooking time.
      I found a recipe that uses your rice and cooks it on high for 3 minutes than lets it natural pressure release for 7. You can find it here http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/quick-coconut-rice/
      Hopefully you can adapt it to suit your needs. If you can get the rice right you can always add canned beans later.
      Good Luck!

• Casey Burnett says:

thanks. I’ll try another rice and try to remember to post here my results.

• Casey Burnett says:

I used a heartier rice today and had much better results.

0.5 cup black beans [dry] // washed
          0.5 cup black rice // washed
          2 cups water
          1/8 onion sliced
          1tsp. evo
          1tsp salt

25 min in IP, manual high pressure.
          Natural release 10 minutes.

FYI: I live at 5600′.

5. chris.pietig@gmail.com says:

I have had my black beans for a while, we grew them but didn’t know what to do with them. Will they need a longer cook time?

6. Stephen Horras says:

If I’m using half the amount of ingredients how should I change the pressure cooker time? Thanks

• Hi Stephen,
      The time will stay the same. It’s based on how long it takes the ingredients to cook, not the quantity of the ingredients.
      Enjoy!

7. When you say “cup”, do you mean a traditional cup, or the Instant Pot cup? Thanks!

8. Very tasty! Consistency is perfect, however I had to drain a bunch of liquid at the end, so maybe 9 cups of water was a bit too much. I recommend adding more salt as well, but otherwise, I’m very happy with it. Thanks!

• Hi Fran,
      The liquid will absorb if you leave it. You can cut it back but I would rather have too much instead of no enough. Those beans and rice do a lot of expanding. ๐Ÿ™‚
      I always add more salt too but some of my readers avoid extra salt. I actually put more salt into almost all my recipes but I like things salty. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Robin Comforto says:

I did a half recipe today. The water amount is way too high. I would try it next time with maybe half the water.

10. It’s great! Every time ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Jennifer Ferrara says:

what if i wanted to make it with white rice? what would the time be then?

• White rice won’t work. It only takes 8 minutes

• The beans and rice couldn’t be cooked together. You could cook the rice then add cooked or canned beans to it.
      I’ve never made white rice in the Instant Pot but I’ve read it takes 3-8 minutes, another commenter said 8 minutes.

12. Any suggestions on how to adjust this recipe if I soak the beans first?

• You can’t adjust it too much because the brown rice requires at least 22 minutes to cook all the way. If you cook it less than 22 minutes it won’t work.
      Also, you’ll need less water, I’d try 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of brown rice. If the beans are cooked you could probably get by with 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water for every 1 cup of black beans.
      I hope that isn’t too confusing!

13. This recipe was magic! It cooked perfectly the first time. A perfect base to dress up with a few spices. Thank you!

14. carabells says:

Loved it! Looked for beans & rice recipe when we first got our pot earlier this year, and I’m glad we looked again – this was perfect!

15. Laura Anderson says:

This looks awesome! Have you ever made this and then reheated another day? I’m making a taco bar for the teachers at my son’s school and need to make everything the night before, and then drop off in the morning before I go to work. The front-office ladies are going to take care of setting everything out for me, so I’m just trying to think of the best way to make this ahead and then have them reheat?? Either in the microwave or maybe just the warm function of the IP?! Would love to know if the texture is ok after reheating?!

• Yes I have! I’ve reheated in the microwave. I haven’t tried it in the IP.
      This recipe doesn’t have much spice but makes a great base. You’ll definitely want to have salt, salsa, etc. to add a little more flavor.

• It makes a huge amount and I reheated it two times and people still raved. I added Lizano Sauce to make it Costa Rican.

16. I “tweaked” the recipe just a bit. I used 4 cups of veg stock, 5 cups of water and 2 tsp of chipotle chili. I also stirred in 1/4c chopped cilantro in with the lime at the end and it was beyond delicious!! This is the perfect base beans and rice recipe, So glad I stumbled upon it!

17. Thank you for this recipe. I added some tomato paste and cumin (as well as everything else) and added cilantro at the end. It is fabulous. I used a mixture of brown, red and wild rice. Seriously good.

18. Sounds great! How many servings does this make?

19. All by myself says:

Hello. New to all this. Can I cut recipe in half? And if I do, do I still do the same time? Make it and I had tons and it’s just me. Will be eating all week ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Will add more spices next time. Too bland for me.

Thanks for the help.

• Yes, you can cut the recipe in half. The cooking time will remain the same.
      Feel free to add more spices. This is a blander recipe. My kids don’t like all the spices I like to this is one of those base recipes that I make, scoop out the kids portions then add whatever I want to mine. Also, if you add enough lime juice you won’t crave as much other spice. It does a terrific number on this recipe.

20. Hello Holly – Just made the rice and beans and they were absolutely fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you ever frozen the left overs? If so, how long will they keep?

• I’ve never frozen it. I think it would be just fine though. Sometimes the texture of rice is a little off after freezing it. I’d recommend making it into soup, like my Enchilada Soup.

21. This was my first Instant Pot recipe and it was a hit with my toddler. Thank you.

• WooHoo! I am so happy! I created this recipe with kids in mind. I know my kids don’t like a lot of spices, this recipe is mild for those with a less adventurous palate. I’ll often serve it to my kids then spice up my bowl. ๐Ÿ™‚

22. Do you think red bell peppers would hold up in this? I’m worried that’s too long of a cook time for them…

• Hi Meg, They would certainly turn to a soggy mess. You could do a release, then add the bell peppers and reseal. It’s a pain but it’s the best method. The easiest may be to stir in some roasted red peppers after it’s done.

23. Holly – I love your site I just found it. I have a quick question I made just the beans using your recipe 1 pound but 5 – 6 cups of water. Do I drain the water after its done cooking. I have tons of left over and I’m not sure if I’m suppose to drain the water before refrigerating the leftovers.

• HI Diane,
      If you leave out the rice you’ll have a lot of extra water. I would drain some of it but leave enough to cover the beans to keep them from drying out.

24. So glad I found this – the proportions and cook times are just right. As others have indicated – it’s pretty bland so I will be experimenting with spicing it up a bit. Maybe some cumin and/or oregano – and some cilantro at the end. This is a great starting point as I am trying to find ways to move to a more plant-based diet.

• I created this one to be a bit plain but feel free to spice it up. My kids are going through an “everything is spicy” stage so I make this, scoop some out for them, then spice it up!

25. Laura Yoerger says:

How many can this serve?

• This makes a ton. I would say it easily makes a 8+ full cups of food. It will have extra liquid when it finishes cooking but it will absorb it as it cools. You could serve it to four adults and probably have leftovers. That is a conservative estimate. We always have way more than we can eat.

26. I made this tonight – my very first pressure cooker recipe! It’s so creamy and perfect. Perfect texture for both the beans and rice. Thanks for sharing!

• Hi Lisa,
      I’m thrilled to hear that! It’s always nice to start with a win!
      Most of my recipe turn out but I’ve had a few that didn’t make it. I hope you continue to enjoy your new pressure cooker!

27. Will this recipe work with red beans instead of black beans? Are there adjustments I need to make?

• Hi Peggy,
      Red beans need to cook longer than black beans. I would guess about 10 minutes more but I’ve never tried it. This may cause the rice to overcook. You could soak the red beans ahead of time but they may overcook. I recommend trying to cook a half batch for 10 minutes more to see how that works.

28. Samantha Basquez says:

I have the crockpot express cooker, should I hit the rice button since I donโ€™t have a โ€œmanualโ€ button? And on low or high?

• Hi Samantha,
      I don’t have that cooker but I’ve done a little research to try to help. Those buttons are just presets for time and temperature. You can press rice but you’ll need to adjust it for high or low pressure. Most of the foods I cook are on high pressure. Pasta is cooked on low pressure. You’ll also need to adjust the cooking time.
      Give it a try!

29. This turned out like porridge. I didn’t realize how gelatinous it would be…

30. Natasha says:

I would like to use CANNED black beans instead of dry. Any suggestions on how I might need to adjust the recipe if needed?
    Thanks!

• You just need to set the pressure cooker long enough to cook your rice. That will depend on what type of rice you are using.

31. Appreciate you posting the recipe. I cut the amounts in half and used my little 3 qt Instant Pot with terrific results. Made a ton for two and will have dinner and lunch for tomorrow at the very least. Ratios of fluid to beans and rice was spot on!

32. This is wonderful! Finally found brown rice and worked like a charm. Can the leftovers be frozen? Itโ€™s just my daughter and me and weโ€™ll never eat it all if not! How would be best to reheat if so? Thanks!!!

33. This was delicious! It was so thick and creamy. Everything was perfectly cooked. After it was finished, we added lime, olive oil, more salt, and a little cumin to each of our bowls. This will definitely be a go-to recipe for our family!

34. Samantha Meiklejohn says:

I pre-soak my grains and beans for approx.12 hours, sometimes longer, for easier digestion before cooking. I’m assuming less water would be needed and less cook time. Any suggestions as to how much and how long? Instant pot newbie!

35. Fraser Wheaton says:

Do you use the high pressure or low pressure setting on the instant pot for this recipe?

36. Everything was great except the lack of flavor. I added 2 packs of taco seasoning to help it along.

37. Christina adams says:

We make this recipe often! We just love it. We also add the seasoning packets that you get from the grocery store. We’ve tried taco seasoning and fajita seasoning, adding the whole packet is perfect!

38. Iโ€™m not sure what I did wrong. I followed the directions but the beans and rice werenโ€™t done cooking. Also, I donโ€™t see a manual button on my instant pot. This is the first recipe Iโ€™ve tried with it.

What do YOU think?