One of my husbands favorite plant-based meals has always been my Broccoli Rice Casserole. I’ve simplified it into a quick and easy one pot meal that can be made in a skillet. I hope you love this One Pot Broccoli and Rice Skillet as much as he does!
This post contains affiliate links.
This is actually the third version of this recipe on my site! In the first, you have to cook the rice, and the sauce, and the broccoli and combine. It’s not hard but it’s a lot of dishes. The second version is a Crock Pot recipe that is really easy but takes hours to cook. I also make it in the Instant Pot but I haven’t shared that version yet.
This version of my Broccoli and Rice is done in less than half an hour! I changed up the ingredients a bit to make this quicker version. The biggest change was using Jasmine rice. I used to always use brown rice but it take about 45 minutes to cook on the stove.
When I asked my readers what they wanted, most said quick and easy recipes so that has become my focus! I want to help you!
One Pot Broccoli and Rice
When I made this, we eat it as a main dish. It works well as a side dish as well. I think it’s one of those perfect dishes, like my Mexican Casserole, that can be made as is to keep plant-based eaters happy but served with a side of meat for family members who aren’t on a plant-based diet.
This recipe makes 4 servings when eaten as a main dish. It reheats well, my husband always takes the leftovers to work for lunch and heats it up in the microwave.
Plant-Based Broccoli and Rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup plant-based milk, I used unsweetened rice milk
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- In a skillet with a lid, bring your water to a boil.
- Add rice and seasoning and stir well. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir well, and add 1 cup of plant-milk and all your broccoli. Cover with the lid. If you feel like it’s too dry, you can add 1/2 a cup of water.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. I cooked for 5 and needed a couple more minutes, it will depend on your heat and the size of your broccoli.
This Broccoli and Rice came out perfect! We added a little more salt to our individual bowls.