Pasta is a quick and easy meal, perfect for busy week nights. This Plant-Based Vegetable Spaghetti recipe is incredibly versatile. I used every vegetable I had but you can adapt it to your preferences and use your favorite vegetables.
I normally prefer pasta with a lot of marinara! I can’t get enough! My family prefers a light hand with the marinara so I decided to up the veggies to see if they could take the place of my red sauce.
Guess what, all of those delicious, fresh veggies more than made up for it.
This recipe will help you get your fill of veggies! It’s a great way to eat the rainbow! You can use wheat or gluten-free pasta. We choose spaghetti but you could use your favorite shape.
- Spaghetti, 16 oz package made according to package directions
- Zucchini, 1 1/2 cups chopped
- Broccoli, 1 1/2 cups chopped, about one crown
- Carrots, 1 cup sliced
- Mushrooms, 1 cup sliced
- Onions, 1/4 diced
- Tomatoes, 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Garlic, 4 cloves minced
- Spinach, a handful
- Petite diced tomatoes, 15 ounce can
- Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Dump the Zucchini, Broccoli, Carrots, Mushrooms, Onions, Tomatoes and Garlic into a hot pan. I prefer a skillet or Dutch Oven (something with a large base).
- Cook the veggies for about 7 minutes. If the veggies begin to stick or burn, add a few tablespoons of water as often as needed. Cover with a lid, stir every few minutes.
- Next, dump in the petite diced tomatoes and the Italian seasoning. Give it a stir then cover with a lid.
- Cook for another 5, then add the Spinach. Stir occasionally.
- Cook for 5 minutes while the Spinach wilts. The veggies should be tender and the grape tomatoes will have burst.
- Pour the drained spaghetti into the veggies and mix well. Add salt and pepper if needed.
This simple recipes gets it’s flavors from the veggies. I like to taste the veggies while cutting them to make sure they taste fresh. You won’t create a delicious meal with old ingredients. I’ll chop a few extra veggies and toss them in a salad.
This Vegetable Spaghetti is a nice alternative to pasta with jarred marinara sauce and takes only a little more time.
Wheat or gluten-free pasta can be used. Only use vegetables you like, skip any veggies you don't enjoy.
Wheat or gluten-free pasta can be used.
Only use vegetables you like, skip any veggies you don't enjoy.