We’ve been eating my Mexican Rice and Bean Casserole for years. It’s a crowd pleaser. I’ve adapted it and made many different versions. It seems like it’s time to do it again. I’m taking the same flavor and most of the ingredients plus quinoa! It make it even easier, I’m making it in my Instant Pot!
This page contains affiliate links.
If you are like me, you probably have a giant bag of quinoa in your pantry. I don’t know why, but in the summer I always gravitate toward quinoa.
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is technically a seed but most people treat it like a grain. It should be cooked before eating. Quinoa has a slightly nutty flavor.
Quinoa is a great versatile food to add to your rotation. We enjoy it in stir frys instead of rice, in breakfast bowls instead of oats, as a replacement for taco meat, your imagination is the limit.
Should I Washing Quinoa?
If you are new to quinoa, you will want to rinse your quinoa first. Quinoa is coated in saponin. It’s bitter and will make you think quinoa is gross. If you rinse the quinoa well, we use a fine mesh strainer, you’ll be able to get the saponin off easily.
Many brands of quinoa will prewash it to remove the saponin.
Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa
I love how versatile this recipe is. I enjoy it hot and cold. Whether I reheat leftovers or serve them cold, I love topping it with my pico de gallo. What can I say, fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic and cilantro are irresistible.
When I know I need a filling meal on the go, this is one of my top choices.
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1 1/4 cups water or veggie broth
- 1 cup Quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 cup Diced Tomatoes (from the can, drained)
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Lime, sliced for garnish
- 2 Avocado (diced)
- Dump the black beans, water/veggie broth, quinoa, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt into the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and close the pressure valve. Press manual/pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes on high pressure. Once it is done, release the pressure manually. Remove the lid carefully.
- Serve in bowls topped with lime wedges and diced avocado. Fresh pico de gallo is my favorite way to enjoy it.
Refrigerate leftovers in an air tight container. Enjoy for 3-4 days.
You can eat leftovers warm or cold.