What can take a basic recipe to the next level? A delicious sauce, or in this case, my Creamy Brown Gravy recipe.
If the word gravy scares you, relax. This isn’t a traditional gravy, it’s more of a savory sauce.
Traditional gravy is made from flour, animal fat and milk. Bleck!
This sauce tastes a lot like regular savory brown gravy but it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and cholesterol-free. The pepper gives this a little spice that your kids may not love. Feel free to leave it out if needed.
Creamy Brown Gravy
This creamy gravy/sauce can be used in many ways. Use it as the “soup” or “glue” for a casserole, pour it over pasta, top a baked potato, pour it over veggies or any other way your heart desires.
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 2 TBSP brown rice flour (other flours may be substituted)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp white pepper (black pepper may be used)
- 1 dash of sweet (not smoked) paprika (may be omitted)
- 1 Tbsp Braggs Amino Acids (tamari or soy sauce can be used but it is NOT gluten-free)
- 1 ½ cup Rice Milk
- In a skillet, add the dry ingredients and cook for a few minutes to toast the dry mixture on medium heat
- Once you start to smell the dry mix toasting, add the rice milk and Braggs. Stir regularly with a whisk.
- After the gravy starts to thicken switch to a silicone spatula and stir gently so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Continue cooking until it reaches a perfect gravy consistency.
- Serve while warm, if gravy gets too dry add a little rice milk.
This sauce is really easy. If you aren’t familiar with Bragg Liquid Aminos, nutritional yeast or brown rice flour don’t get nervous. Bragg Liquid Aminos taste similar to soy sauce but this is gluten-free. Nutritional yeast is something that most vegans use to get a cheesy or savory flavor. Brown rice flour is a gluten-free flour that I often use in sauces. Try them, most people love them.
If you still aren’t convinced about the brown rice you can also make this with corn starch. The taste is the same but the consistency varies slightly. It’s still delicious. I’ve also made it with wheat flour.
Need more delicious meal ideas? Check out my Recipe Page!
This page contains affiliate links.